CALL OUR IRVINE OFFICE TODAY - Local: 949-450-0041


Conservatorships are granted in the state of California to provide care and management of health and financial decisions for individuals who have become incapacitated or do not have the mental soundness to handle such decisions on their own. At The Flanigan Law Group in Irvine, our lawyers will help you understand your options in conservatorship, as well as the steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones.

The Purposes A Conservatorship Can Provide

Not all conservatorships are alike. Each type of conservatorship provides a particular purpose. Types of conservatorships include:

Probate conservatorships -When an individual becomes incapacitated, the court can appoint a medical conservator and a financial conservator to make decisions on behalf of the person. If the situation requires, one person can be appointed to handle both medical and financial decisions.
Developmentally disabled (limited conservatorship) – A conservator can be appointed to handle the medical and financial concerns of an individual born with a developmental disability. The extent of the powers granted to the conservator vary on a case-by-case basis, dependent on the nature of the disability and the individual’s independence.
Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) – If an individual who was previously of sound mind begins to show signs of mental illness, the state of California can be named to handle medical and financial concerns. The person must show that he or she is a danger to him or herself or to society, generally triggered by law enforcement or another government agency.
Guardianships – A guardian can be named for children under the age of 18 who have been left a large sum of money after the loss of their parents. Parents can name a trusted loved one as the guardian in their estate plan to specifically designate who they wish to care for their children and manage the funds of a trust or inheritance that has been left to the child. This is advised as it avoids the possibility of a court-appointed guardian whom the parents would not have wanted or one who would mismanage the child’s trust.
Conservator can be named to handle large sums of money awarded to a minor after an injury or settlement in a personal injury lawsuit.

Our Irvine conservatorship and elder law attorneys will guide you through the process of establishing these designations beforehand in a comprehensive estate plan or seeking a conservatorship when the need arises.

Contact The Flanigan Law Group Today

To arrange a free initial consultation to discuss seeking a conservatorship for a loved one, please contact our California law office at 949-450-0041.