CALL OUR IRVINE OFFICE TODAY - Local: 949-450-0041

If you’ve experienced – or are about to experience – a big change in your life, chances are that change should also be reflected in your will.

There are two ways to change your will – by modifying it with a codicil, or by drawing up a new will. It is usually easiest – and helps reduce any potential for confusion – to create a new will when something major happens in your life, like:

Marriage – both spouses should create new wills after they get married. If the marriage brings stepchildren into the picture – and you want to include them in your will – you must specifically name them, unless you have legally adopted them.

Divorce – suffice it to say, if you’ve divorced someone, you probably don’t want him or her getting any (more) of your assets. While a divorce judgment revokes a gift made to your spouse in your will in most states, you should make a new will after your divorce.

Birth – you should establish guardianship for a minor child in your will.

Death – if someone you have provided for in your will dies before you do, a new will should be made to redistribute the asset.

In addition, you will need to create a new will if you have disposed of any property that you gifted in your will or if you change your mind about a beneficiary.

The Flanigan Law Group provides Southern California residents with personal attention for estate planning, administration and litigation legal services. When disputes between families, arise, they are very successful in resolving legal estate issues quickly and efficiently while preserving financial and emotional resources. Contact the Flanigan Law Group at 949-450-0041.